Żurrieq was inhabited since the bronze age by a relatively large population. The largest village in the area, it is also the centre of most of its commercial activities and offers a number of interesting sites. The first historical reference to this village goes back in 1399. The villages of Hal Lew, Hal Millieri, Hal Manin, Bubaqra, Hal Far, Nigret and Qrendi used to make part of the village itself, until in 1618 the village of Qrendi became a village of its own right while the others dissolved in a natural way with their area now making an integral part of the village perimeter.
Lying further away from the main village centre there are two other hamlets, Bubaqra and in-Nigret.
Origins of the name 'Żurrieq'
 The Semitic roots indicate the word zoroq would mean blue, but it is not clear for what do they refer. One may recall the old motto in Latin saying: From the blue sea I took my name.
 In 1530, the population numbered 2,000 people living in 400 houses. This phenomenon kept growing up till the present times when we find a population of 10,000 people residing in the actual town of Zurrieq.
The Parish Church dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria knows its roots to a chapel built on the same site in 1436 by Mons. De Mello. The church we know today is that built on both the site of the chapel dedicated to St. Catherine as well as an adjacent one dedicated to St. Peter. This was built between 1634 and 1659 on the plans of architect Lorenzo Gafa'. Inside the church we find six paintings by Mattia Preti. Before the present titular painting, there was one by Matteo Perez D'Alecio, presently in the church cloister.
There are other paintings by renowned artists such as Luca Garnieri, Frangisku Zahra, Raffael Bonnici Calì and Alfred Camilleri Cauchi.
In the peripheral area of Zurrieq known as Hal Millieri, one can also find two other chapels, one of which dating from medieval times and having interesting frescoes.
Zurrieq is the site of various archaeological remains dating back from various periods. Phoenician tombs were discovered in the land known as " Ta' Danieri " limits of "Tal-Hlewwa". In the area known as "Tal-Bakkari", ruins were unearthed of a chapel, built on even older remains of what may be a Roman temple. Some metres from this sight there are ruins of one of the towers referred to as 'Torri tal-Bakkari', constructed out of the same type and size of stone as those found in the chapel's ruins.
Near the Xarolla Windmill, Paleo-Christian tombs were found and are being excavated. In these tombs there are interesting architectural features rarely found in similar tombs on the island.
Tax-Xarolla Windmill
The windmill known as Tax-Xarolla was built by Grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena, in 1724. In 1992, this was restored to its original working order and is now the only functioning windmill in the islands of Malta and Gozo. In the year 2000, this building was passed over to be administered by the Zurrieq Local Council and the location is intended to serve also as a cultural centre.
The Nigret palace was built in 1715 by Chev. Giacobo de Togores. Today the palace serves as a convent and orphanage run by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. Another interesting palace is situated in the Bubaqra zone and is currently owned by a foreign family.
The Armoury
 The palace of the Armoury was built in the XVIIth century and was used as such under Grandmasters Pinto, Ximenes and de Rohan. It is said that Napoleon Bonaparte visited the village of Zurrieq and slept for a night in this palace.
The Wardija Tower
This tower is one of thirteen towers guarding the coast around the island, built by Grand Master Martino De Redin during 1659.
Żurrieq Defence
 The earliest defence works to be found within Zurrieq are the Roman towers. The idea was to have an early warning system for the main town of Melita (present day Mdina and Rabat). These towers covered the approaches leading towards the main city from the southern flank.
 There are at least three Roman round towers in the area, at Ta' Gawhar, Tal-Baqqari and Tat-Torrijiet, limits of Zurrieq.
Other defences were built during the time of the Order of St John.